Monday, January 17, 2011

Beer of the Week: Carlsberg Pilsner

Carlsberg Pilsner
Beer of the Week 1/8/11 to 1/14/11


The girl and I popped into Grendel's Den in Harvard Square recently for a pint. Grendel's can get pretty crowded with students and tourists, but there are a few tables tucked away in the back by the bathrooms (and we managed to grab one of them). The bar has a wide selection of beers, both in bottles and on tap. I was in the mood for something light, so I decided to order a pint of the German pilsner-style Carlsberg. My only previous experience with this beer was seeing its name on the front of a Liverpool jersey, but the girl recommended I give it a try.

It pours a golden color, with a slight haze and a thin white head that quickly disappears. I immediately was hit with the smell of yeast, hops, and a bit of citrus. It's easy to assume this beer is going to be bland in flavor because of its color, but I was pleasantly surprised. Carlsberg is a very good example of a German pilsner, as the flavor was malty and hoppy but neither was overpowering. It would be easy to have a few pints of this as it has a fairly low ABV (anywhere from 3.8% to 4.6%), with only a slight bitterness. If you're looking for a lighter beer that still has good flavor, give Carlsberg a try.

My pint...I guess it's a half pint at this point!

A bottle I picked up at the store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...